Online predator statistics and facts show an alarming trend with each passing day, as the world gets smaller and more connected. On the positive, the internet has become universal and internet speeds have gradually been on the increase allowing more and more people to interact on the go. Even so, most people do not realize the vast amount of information that they contribute on the internet and how easily it could be used against them. The explosion of social media has also been brought about a similar increase in the number of cyber predators.
Online Predator Statistics Parents Should Know
Some online predator statistics and facts that everybody needs to take keen note of includes:
- 82% of sex crimes involving a minor are initiated from social sites. This is so, mainly because on social media, it is possible for child predators to gain access to information about their victim online.
- Over 65% of the cases, information gathered in a child’s profile leads either to their school, home or both.
- There are over 747,408 registered sex offenders in the United States, and over 100,000 are lost in the system
- One in five U.S. teenagers who regularly log on to the Internet says they have received an unwanted sexual solicitation via the Web. Solicitations were defined as requests to engage in sexual activities or sexual talk, or to give out personal sexual information.
- Over half (56%) of kids sexually solicited online were asked to send a picture; 27% of the pictures were sexually-oriented in nature.
- Of aggressive sexual solicitations of youth (when the solicitor attempted to establish an offline contact via in-person meeting or phone call), 73% of youth met the solicitor online.
- More appalling is the knowledge that only one-third of kids actually report the sexual crimes.
- Furthermore, the statistics reveal that even though the girl child is most vulnerable, a significant number of boys also fall in the same trap of molestation
What is a Cyber Predator?
The online predation of children is real and has some really terrifying consequences. So what is a cyber predator? Generally, these are people who use the internet to target minors with the intent of performing nonconsensual sex acts with them. Their strategy is based on manipulation and anonymity so that they may be able to use childish distractions against the children. This way, child predators online get to use the children’s emotional vulnerabilities to get them to perform the unthinkable. Online predator statistics show that 80% of the predators make their intentions clear but never reveal their true identity to the victims.
How to Protect Children from Online Predators?
This being the case, the ultimate solution to protecting children from online predators is basically closing off the loop holes they use. In order to properly effect this, all round knowledge is vital to help the victims identify what is a cyber predator. Even so, parental control programs are the most effective tools for restricting a child’s internet activities and making sure they stay safe.
One of the best parental control programs is SentryPC. The software is arguably the best for the fact that it has all the necessary controls a parent would need although for a premium price. Besides, SentryPC, CovenantEyes also guarantees peace of mind through comprehensive content filtering for family settings. Alternatively, Realtime-Spy is a lightweight and a similarly capable monitoring software which can be remotely installed and operated regardless of the internet connection type. These are handy tools to provide some protection as well as give a guardian an overlooking eye over their network hence giving them an easier time trying to ensnare the child predators online. More so, the data collected from the applications can better be used to understand the online predator statistics and better cyber security in general.